- Serving Size : 1 cup
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Ready In : 60 minutes
An inexpensive, healthy, simple alternative to ground beef for vegetarians.
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup raw brown lentils (ground in blender or coffee grinder)
- 1 can tomatoes, with juice (28 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups water, as needed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1-2 cloves)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 large onion, sautéed, optional
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts or pecans, optional
- 3-4 cubes Tasty Brown Bouillon (see below)
Tasty Brown Bouillon
Choose one of the following options:
- Homemade Recipe: 1/2-3/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. carob powder (optional)
- Vegetable Broth
- McCormick's All Vegetable Bouillon - Beef: 1 cube
- Better-Than-Bouillon-Veggie: 1 tsp.
- Blaney's Beef Like Seasoning: 1 Tbsp.
- Bill's Best Beef: 1 1/2 tsp.
- Jack Jr. Beef Flavor: 1 Tbsp.
Blend all (except bulgur and onions) in blender until smooth.
In a large skillet mix all (including bulgur) and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally, until mixture is a moist, burger-like consistency (a bit gooey). Will dry up as it cools.
Tips 'n' Techniques
Variation 1: Can use bulgur or TVP in place of ground lentils.
Variation 2: Can use Golden Nuggets, or just about any gluten loaf recipe, ground in food processor, with or without above seasonings.
Gluten free alternative: Use above recipe with Soy Curls crushed into pea sized bits or use soy TVP (available in some grocery stores) in place of bulgur.
Several products on the market.
- Yves® - ground or Just like Ground® (available in many grocery stores)
- Vibrant Life® in a can
- Grillz®, a dry burger mix just add water
- Boca® - crumbles or burgers
And many more in health food stores and grocery stores.
Healthy Home Cookin' Vol. 6 - Better For You Entrees
Reprinted with permission from the author, Angela Poch.
Photograph © Angela Poch.