- Makes : 4 2-cup baggies
- Prep Time : 10 to 15 minutes
- Ready In : 90 minutes
These are very versatile and delicious!!! (Gluten free see tips below.)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups gluten flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cubes Tasty Brown Bouillon (see below)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- Golden Nugget Broth (see below)
Tasty Brown Bouillon
Choose one of the following options:
- Homemade Recipe: 1/2-3/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. carob powder (optional)
- Vegetable Broth
- McCormick's All Vegetable Bouillon - Beef: 1 cube
- Better-Than-Bouillon-Veggie: 1 tsp.
- Blaney's Beef Like Seasoning: 1 Tbsp.
- Bill's Best Beef: 1 1/2 tsp.
- Jack Jr. Beef Flavor: 1 Tbsp.
Golden Nugget Broth
- 4 1/2 cup water
- 2 cubes Golden Seasoning (or Tasty Brown Bouillon)
- 1/2 cup Braggs Aminos
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 to 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, optional
Dissolve bouillon in hot
water and combine all.
Tip: Try using a veggie soup. Puree 3 cups of soup and add 1 cup water.
Prepare two 9 x 13 pans with non-stick spray.
Dissolve Bouillon in the boiling water.
Combine all dry ingredients, and combine all wet ingredients with Bouillon. Mix together. This will seem gooey but will not stick to your hands. Tear into chunks about 1 inch or so. (Less than bite size as these will expand); Place into prepared pans.
Pour broth over top and bake at 350°F for approx 1 hour. (I switch pans halfway, top to bottom, bottom to top). Cook until liquid is almost absorbed.
Cool, stirring a couple times and place in baggies.
Stores very well in freezer.
Per serving (including broth without oil):
Variations: can use Golden Seasoning, in place of Tasty Brown Bouillon.
Tips 'n' Techniques
For gluten free: Use 8 cups dry Soy Curls, add 2 Tbsp Golden Seasoning or Tasty Brown Bouillon, and soak in the Golden Nugget broth for 15 minutes and bake in the broth for 30 minutes at 350°F.
For those of us who don't eat beans, gluten can be a staple. But remember, it is a refined product. Whole foods are the best foods.
Healthy Home Cookin' Vol.
6 - Better For You Entrees
Reprinted with permission from the author, Angela Poch.
Photograph © Angela Poch.