Zucchini-Tomato Sauce for Pasta
- Makes : about 3 quarts
- 1 large onion, chopped (Vidalia onion if possible)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, trimmed and finely chopped in food processor
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 large, ripe tomatoes, chopped, or 2 (two) 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- one 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of Florida Crystals natural sugar
Sauté onion, garlic, and zucchini in oil until soft.
Stir in tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar. Add paste. Heat to bubbling; simmer for 30 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
Dining with Friends
Reprinted with permission from the author, Priscilla Feral.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.