Crispy Rice Chews
- Makes : 16 squares
Everyone enjoys this easy, no-bake confection - including the cook!
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 1/4 cup crunchy almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Tiny pinch of salt (optional; omit if nut butter or cereal contains salt)
- 2 cups crisped rice cereal
- 1/3 cup seedless raisins, chopped nuts, or vegan semisweet chocolate chips
Mist an 8-inch square glass baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
Place the rice syrup, almond butter, tahini, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan, and place over low heat until the mixture is softened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt, if using. Mix well.
Fold in the cereal and raisins, and mix gently until everything is evenly distributed. The mixture will be extremely stiff.
Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan using lightly water-moistened fingertips or a piece of waxed paper. Cut into 16 squares. Cover the pan with plastic wrap, and chill the squares in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.
Vegan Vittles: Second Helpings
Reprinted with permission from the author, Jo Stepaniak.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.