Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Makes : 7, 1-cup servings
Put a unique and healthful spin on going green with this St. Patrick's Day-inspired recipe.
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 - 2 cups fortified unsweetened soy- or rice milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Place potatoes in a large pot with water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
Remove tough ends from asparagus, then cut or break it into 1-inch lengths; you should have about 4 cups. When potatoes are tender, add asparagus, along with cabbage, parsley, and basil. Cover and simmer until asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes.
Use a blender to purée vegetables in 2 or 3 batches, adding some of the nondairy milk to each batch. Be sure to start blender on a low speed and hold lid on tightly. Return soup to pan, add salt to taste, then heat until steamy.
Per serving (1 cup):
Cal. From Fat9.1%
Saturated Fat0.1 g
Vitamin C25.8 mg
Vitamin E0.8 mg