- Servings : 6-8
This creamy sweet "cheese" cake will tempt even the most discerning cheesecake lover! Dairy-free and delicious, it has been a longtime favorite among our guests at the Chicago Diner. You can top with ganache or fresh fruit.
- 1 3/4 cups granola*, graham cracker crumbs, or cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
* We use a wheat-free granola. It's another nice option to offer your wheat-allergy friends
- 2 pounds soft tofu
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola or light vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup chocolate chips, chopped fruit, or coconut (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Break up the granola in a blender or food processor. Mix in the melted margarine and water. If it is still very crumbly, add an additional tablespoon of water. Press the mixture firmly into an 8-inch springform pan or 10-inch pie pan, and bake 8 to 10 minutes.
Place all the filling ingredients except optional ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Fold optional ingredients into the mixture.
Pour the filling into the crust, and bake 25 to 35 minutes. The top of the cheesecake should spring back at a light touch.
The cheesecake becomes firmer as it cools. Cool completely before slicing.