- Makes : 4 burgers
Delicious, chewy, and satisfying - what more can we ask of a burger? Serve these on buns with all your favorite trimmings. Despite a lengthy list of seasonings, these burgers are a breeze to prepare.
- 1 cup TSP flakes or granules (Textured Soy Protein, also known as TVP, Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 rounded tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup flour (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
Place the TSP, oats, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and dry mustard in a medium bowl, and stir until evenly combined. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water, ketchup, and soy sauce, and stir until blended. Pour into the TSP mixture, and stir until well combined. Let rest for 5-10 minutes so the TSP and oats can absorb the liquid.
Add the peanut butter, and mix until it is well incorporated. Stir in the flour and optional nutritional yeast flakes, and mix thoroughly. Shape into 4 flat patties, about 4 inches in diameter. Place the patties on a sheet of waxed paper as soon as they are formed.
Coat a large, heavy skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. When hot, add the patties. Lower the heat and brown the patties for 6-8 minutes on each side.