Beans with Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- Servings : 2
For a couple of months now we have this bottle of Austrian pumpkin seed oil in our kitchen. It is a cold pressed oil to be used not for cooking and frying, has a dark green-brown colour and an intense smell of salted and roasted pumpkin seeds. We have a lot of different oils, but this is my absolute favourite! It can be used in salad dressings and, if you don't heat it up, in pesto as well.
For the pesto combine in a food processor and blend until smooth:
- 100g cherry tomatoes (3 tomatoes), chopped
- 10g basil (1 cup packed)
- 15-20g (2 Tbsp.) hulled, green pumpkin seeds
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) good quality, cold pressed pumpkin seed oil
- 5 sun dried tomatoes, cut into very small pieces
- 1-2 cloves garlic
For the beans:
- 2 cans lima, butter or cannellini beans
- 200g frozen spinach (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 tsp. dried sage
Place beans and spinach in a pot, add sage and 2-3 Tbsp. of water. Cook until the water is absorbed.
Let cool for 5 minutes then add the pesto and serve immediately.
The pesto makes a great spread too!
Reprinted with permission from Constanze Reichardt of
Photograph © Constanze Reichardt.