Atlantic Tofu Gratin
- Servings : 4
Here's another seashore-inspired recipe. This one is a luscious baked, bubbly gratin of tofu "seafood". Don't let the long list of ingredients deter you. It's relatively easy to make. To make it work best, the tofu must be pre-baked.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon quality Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine or sherry
- 1/2 pound tofu, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons quality Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon fructose or sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock or water
- 4 pieces veggie bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 16 ounces spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup soy cheese, shredded
Combine all Tofu Marinade ingredients and bake on a sheet pan at 450˚ for 20 minutes, turning the tofu with a spoon twice. Then place the mixture in a gratin dish. You may add some veggie bacon or spinach if you like.
Next, combine the Dressing ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Cover the tofu mixture with it, and top with cheese if you like.
Bake on highest oven setting (500˚) for about 10 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbly. You may finish the gratin under the broiler for last-minute color.
The Horizons Cookbook
Reprinted with permission from one of the authors, Kate Jacoby.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.