ABC Nut Loaf
- Makes : One 8 x 12-inch pan
- 3/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 T. olive oil, plus additional for oiling pan
- 1 T. garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Brazil nuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/2 t. rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 T. Ener-G Egg Replacer
In a non-stick skillet, sauté the onion and celery in the olive oil for 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 1 minute. Add the almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, parsley, thyme, and sage, stir well to combine, and sauté the mixture an additional 2-3 minutes or until the nuts are fragrant. Remove the skillet from the heat.
In a medium bowl, place the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. In a small bowl, place the water and egg replacer, and whisk vigorously for 1 minute or until very frothy. Add the nut mixture and egg replacer mixture to the breadcrumb mixture and stir well to combine.
Using a little olive oil, lightly oil (or mist with oil) an 8 x 12-inch baking pan. Transfer the nut mixture to the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Remove the pan from the oven and allow the loaf to cool for a few minutes before cutting into pieces. Serve as a main dish, sandwich filling, or add to soups, salads, and side dishes.
The Vegan Chef
Reprinted with permission from Beverly Lynn Bennett.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.