Reprinted with permission from the author, Jo Stepaniak.
Spinach Tomato Pesto (p. 83)
Yield: 2 2/3 cups
An absolute exquisite pesto, yet very simple to
prepare. Equally great as a dip or topping served at room temperature, or as a
warm sauce over pasta or rice.
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- 1/2 C fresh parsley, chopped and lightly packed
- 1/2 C fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- 1/2 C pine nuts
- 1 (6 oz.) can unsalted tomato paste
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast flakes
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Place all the ingredients in a blender, and
process several minutes into a thick purée. Serve at room temperature, or
transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium-low until just warmed through.
Per 1/3 cup serving: Calories: 94, Protein: 5 gm,
Carbohydrates: 9 gm, Fat: 5 gm.