Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows
Chocolate-with-peanut-butter devotees will
totally stalk you once they bite into these seemingly ordinary chocolate cookies
with a hidden peanut butter center. Or consider these a peanut butter ball with
a chocolate cookie shell, and looking something like a plump round ravioli. Or a
pillow, but edible, like the name says. Impatience is rewarded here: just a few
minutes out of the oven, these cookies are dynamite - all warm and oozy inside.
You can either press them down a little to give them a flattened shape, or leave
the balls to flatten slightly on their own during baking.
Recipe Source: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
Reprinted with permission from the author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
Photograph © Wanda Embar.
Makes 2 dozen cookies
For the chocolate Dough:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons black unsweetened cocoa powder or more regular
unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 3/4 cup natural salted peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons soy creamer or nondairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, maple syrup,
nondairy milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, cocoa
powder, black cocoa powder if using, baking soda, and salt. Mix to form a
- Make the peanut butter filling: in another mixing bowl,
use a hand mixer to beat together peanut butter, powdered sugar, 2
tablespoons of the soy creamer, and vanilla to form a moist but firm dough.
If peanut butter dough is dry and crumbly (natural peanut butters have
varying moisture contents), stir in the remaining tablespoon of nondairy
milk. If dough is too wet, knead in a little extra powdered sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line two baking sheets with
Shape the Cookies:
- Create the centers of the cookies by rolling the peanut
butter dough into twenty-four balls (try dividing dough in half, then each
part in half again and roll each portion into six balls). Scoop a generous
tablespoon of chocolate dough, flatten into a thin disc, and place a peanut
butter ball in the center. Fold the sides of the chocolate dough up and
around the peanut butter center and roll into a smooth ball between your
palms. Place on a sheet of waxed paper and repeat with remaining dough. If
desired, gently flatten cookies slightly, but this is not necessary.
- Place the dough balls on lined baking sheets about 2
inches apart and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven and let
the cookies stand for 5 minutes before moving them to wire racks to complete
cooling. Store cookies in tightly covered container. If desired, warm
cookies in a microwave for 10 to 12 seconds before serving.
If unsalted peanut butter is all you have, be sure to add 1/4
to 1/2 teaspoon salt to the peanut butter mixture.