Reprinted with permission from the author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
Golden Vanilla Cupcakes (p.
Makes 12 cupcakes
This multipurpose, no-nonsense cupcake should
be in your holster opposite Your
Basic Chocolate Cupcake (page 37) if you are considering the rough and
tumble life of a cupcake gun-slinger. And they're also nice for birthdays,
bake sales and baby showers.
We've included two options for these made with
either canola oil or margarine, both resulting in slightly different but yummy
cupcakes. Canola oil makes a never-fail cupcake with a slight texture, great
with any vanilla-based variation. Margarine can be a little trickier to work
with, but the buttery flavor, golden color, and delicate texture it gives
cupcakes are worth the effort.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (increase salt to 1/2 teaspoon if
you're using oil instead of margarine)
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened, or 1/3
cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, caramel extract, or more
Golden Vanilla Cupcake.
Picture Wanda Embar, Vegan Peace.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line muffin pan with
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a measuring cup and
set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.
- If using margarine: Sift the flour, cornstarch,
baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate large bowl, use a handheld mixer at
medium speed to cream the margarine and sugar for about 2 minutes until
light and fluffy, but don't beat past two minutes. Beat in the vanilla
and other extract, if using, then alternate beating in the soy milk
mixture and dry ingredients, stopping to scrap the sides of the bowl a
- If using oil: Beat together the soy milk mixture,
oil, sugar, vanilla and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift
in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix
until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake
for 20 to 22 minutes till done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool
completely before frosting.