The Candle Cafe
Crown Publishing Group
© 2003 by Joy Pierson, Bart Potenza, Barbara Scott-Goodman
Reprinted with permission from Benay Vynerib.
Diner-Style Pancakes (p. 201)
Serves 4 to 6
Whether you eat these delicious vegan pancakes
for breakfast, brunch, or a midnight snack, you'll love 'em.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted unbleached white or spelt flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt (fine-grained)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer dissolved in 1
tablespoon soy milk
- 1 3/4 cups soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil, plus oil for cooking the
- soy margarine (optional)
- maple syrup (optional)
Diner-Style Pancakes. Picture Wanda Embar, Vegan Peace.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder,
sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the dissolved egg replacer, soy
milk, vanilla extract, and oil. Mix the flour mixture and the egg mixture
together, stirring well to combine.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat some oil.
Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto the skillet, leaving room for the
pancakes to expand. Cook until the bottoms are golden and bubbles are
popping on the surface, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook
until golden. Repeat, using up all the batter. Serve with soy margarine and
maple syrup, if desired.